During this unprecedented time, many small business employers are struggling with how to take care of their employees and their customers while keeping their business finances in good standing. Some relief comes in the form of expanded unemployment compensation benefits.
Soon, workers in Alabama who are impacted by the coronavirus (COVID-19) can file for unemployment benefits. The Alabama Department of Labor is modifying current unemployment compensation rules to allow workers to file a claim for unemployment compensation benefits.
Who Can File a Claim
If you are affected in any of the following ways, you are eligible to file for an unemployment claim:
- You are quarantined by a medical professional or governmental agency.
- You are laid off or sent home without pay for an extended period due your employer’s to COVID-19 concerns.
- You are diagnosed with COVID-19.
- You are caring for an immediate family members who is diagnosed with COVID-19.
Regardless of the situations above, you are NOT eligible if you are paid to work from home or if you receive paid sick or vacation leave.
How to Apply
Workers can file for benefits online beginning March 23, 2020, at www.labor.alabama.gov or by calling 1-866-234-5382. Online filing is encouraged.
A few other considerations for applicants to consider are the following:
- You must be classified as “able and available” to work while receiving compensation benefits.
- You do not have to search for other work as long as you take steps to preserve your ability to return to work after your illness or quarantine ends.
- The waiting week (the time between application and receiving money) will be waived for most applicants.
At Avizo, we believe our PEOPLE are the most important aspect of our company and we are fortunate to have invested in the technology and innovative processes that will allow us to work remotely during this time. Making the difficult choice to ask employees to go home is not something any employer wants to do, so we hope this information provides a small amount of peace of mind.
As always, if you are struggling with a business decision and need help in determining the best course of action for your business, please contact your Avizo CPA Consultant.